Monday, November 18, 2013

DEV: Harry Potter and the PreCalc Functions

Callie, Maddie, and Kaitlyn's DEV Project:

DEV- Harry Potter and the PreCalc Functions





http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/calliehamm-1993940-dev-harry-potter-precalc-functions/

Make sure to turn your volume up and watch the videos!!!

Callie's Reflection:
When we first started working on our DEV, as a group we went through the units and picked out what our strong points were. We then each picked two areas we thought we were good at to focus on, such as Farmer Ted-type problems, or f(g(x)), and tried to think of ways to relate them to the horcruxes in Harry Potter. I chose to do factoring through grouping, then graphing an equation and factoring through long division and perfect cubes, then graphing. I felt confident in these areas, and thought that it would be good for me to learn how to explain them. Because all of us helped each other out with problems as well as working on our own, I also feel like I have a good grasp on the other types of problems we focused on. It was good for me and my group mates to be forced to challenge ourselves with not only creating but being able to clearly explain all of these problems. It showcased our willingness to take what we've learned and apply it in more difficult problems, thereby showing our knowledge in these areas. I think this project is very helpful in that it has helped me grasp a deeper understanding of the material, as being able to teach something like this to others is a sign of being well on the way to mastering a subject. I also loved that we were able to enjoy ourselves with this project- who said that math can't be fun? Both myself as an individual and we as a group have been challenged to fully comprehend the material we're working with so as to do the best we could have. I think this project really is a great idea; it forces us as students to fully grasp the material we are working with, even needing to be able to explain it to others. 

Maddie's Reflection:
I choose to work on the Farmer Ted inspired problem and graphing rational functions. I choose these two units because I felt confident enough with each of the units to be able to create a great problem. I felt that I was able to explain the problems with help from my teammates. I tried to span each problem over more than one unit. I tried to create problems that were challenging and forced you to put in a lot of effort. It was a very stressful project, but our group was able to work together and accomplished a great project that I am proud of. We spent hours on this project and used our knowledge to complete the best project that we could do. Our group did a great job and I am proud of what we accomplished. 

Kaitlyn's Reflection:
Why did you choose the concepts you did to create your problem set?
When my partners and I were creating our problems, we decided that we wanted to cover every unit. So we split up the units between us. When we were splitting up the units we picked the ones that we were most comfortable with.
How do these problems provide an overview of your best mathematical understanding of what you have learned so far?
These problems show how my partners and I have challenged ourselves to truly understand every concept. Our explanations illustrate our understanding of each concept.  I understand how I the answers and I can explain that to other people.  Each problem shows what my partners and I have learned so far and our explainations show how we truly understand every concept.
Did you learn anything from this assignment? Was it educationally valuable to you?
I definately learned that creating problems is hard and we should give the people that do it for a living a lot of credit. This project was very valuable to me educationally. For instance, it was a great review because we had to think back to the units from the beginning of the trimester.  I needed to understand these problems very well for this project, so it enhanced my understanding a lot.  This project made me challenge myself, so I believe that it was very valuable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment