Sunday, November 17, 2013

D.E.V. - Stone, Olivia, Erica



Reflections:

Olivia- For my DEV, I had a great group and we worked together really well to get the job done.  I didn't think it was possible, but I actually had fun while doing a math project!  In the DEV, we tried to incorporate problems from every unit of study.  This way, we could show what we have learned throughout the trimester, and also refresh our memories on each unit.  Our goal was to choose a vast variety of concepts to include in our DEV because that was the only way to really display our knowledge.  The problems and situations we created show our highest level of understanding, as we used ideas that were more advanced than what we were required to be able to do during the trimester.  Multiple of the problems that our group created were similar to the extra credit problems on past tests.  For example, we divided a fourth power polynomial by a quadratic, found the inverse of a quadratic function, and found an equation given the domain.  While this assignment did not teach me any new material, it definitely helped me to review what I already knew.  Some things that were from the beginning of the year were a bit shaky for me, but after this project I feel confident in my knowledge and about the exam.

Erica- After this project, I feel that I have a complete understanding of what we have
learned throughout this class. Making our own problems of each unit helped me realize
all the material that we have learned. Many times, I get overwhelmed with a problem and
do not know where to begin. However, after putting everything together I understand all
of the steps to each problem. I feel like the project was educationally valuable for me. I
have a good grasp on every unit and explaining each step in our project has helped where
it was not completely clear.
      All of the concepts that we covered are there for a reason. We felt that each
problem was challenging and you would have to think through. Our group tried to cover
every unit that we learned this trimester. We used our previous knowledge and made our
own problems but took a step further.
      I feel like the problems I did I have a compete knowledge of. The long division
problems are very easy to me. After watching the video that Mr. Jackson posted I felt
like I could do this without trouble. Dividing a fourth degree polynomial by a two-degree
problem is out of reach for some people. When given a domain and trying to figure out
a function can be difficult. Nevertheless, graphing it as well may be a problem for many.
Our group figured out how to do this and explained it very simply. All the problems we
did together as a group and we problem solved together! It was so much fun working
with the people I did. We all contributed and made doing the project seem not so bad.

Stone- Why did you choose the concepts you did to create your problem set?
Since my group had three people we had six questions.  Knowing this, I knew we could cover a lot of the material we learned in these six questions.  Throughout the questions we tried to have a large diversity of problems, from Farmer Stone problems to graphing rational functions.  In addition I think we generally did a good job of always including material from at least two units of study.  So why did we choose these problems, because we wanted to challenge ourselves by trying to solve and explain what we thought were some of the toughest problems we have encountered.
How do these problems provide an overview of your best mathematical understanding of what you've learned so far?
I think this set of problems that my group has created describes my mathematical understanding well.  We selected some problems that I felt were difficult to learn, but have come to understand them quite well.  So these problems show the broad set of skills that I have acquired throughout the trimester and that I can apply them as necessary.
Did you learn anything from this assignment? Was it educationally valuable to you?
Honestly I did not learn anything from this assignment.  There are two reasons for me saying this, one, I did not learn any new material from this assignment I thought it was all basically review from past units.  My second reason is, to see if I am ready for a test I will explain the process of solving a problem to a friend.  My thought is the only time you really understand a concept is if you can explain it to someone else.  All that being said I do think the DEV is educationally valuable.  If you worked in a group I think this project forced you to work together as a team, and teamwork is an important value to learn.  Additionally this project also made me improve my problem solving skills which can always use work.     





No comments:

Post a Comment